Sunday, November 26, 2006

Memories Old and New...


See the picture? Gunz bought me the Gevalia Coffee/Tea set, because he knows I love Gevalia coffee. I got it a few days ago and I love it so much, I had to display it now.

Gunz had his girls this weekend and I had my son and daughter, so my kids and I decorated the tree. It brought back so many memories, both old and new. Listening to the Christmas songs, some that my grandparents listened to as they put up their own tree, and seeing things Gunz has given me, caused memories to flood my mind, while tears fell.

When I was in my 20's and I had my own apartment, I bought my own Christmas tree ornaments. They were pretty and they all matched. My tree had a "theme". You know, those decorator kinds in magazines that look pristine. The problem was, the tree had no soul.

In 1995, the Ohio River flooded and many people lost entire homes, cars, and even lives. I only lost my pristine and delicate Christmas ornaments. As I cried over the ruined tree, my mother remembered my grandparent’s decorations that had been left untouched in their house. I inherited their decorations, but more than that, I inherited their memories.

Christmas tree bulbs, ornaments, and decorations from different eras, different times and different lives were in those boxes. Some of the ornaments are from WWII. I know a few for sure are from the 50's. There are at least 6 hand painted glass ornaments from Bavaria.

I can remember as a child decorating the tree and handing ornaments to my grandmother. The stories, and memories she shared about her own life were being hung as she smiled at each one. Stories poured from her and misty eyes gazed upon the tree of love. Her tree not only lit up the room, but it lit up our lives.

Each year, and I can't explain why, I always buy one ornament. Not just any ornament, but one that “speaks” to me. Friday night, my children and I made one last stop and as we passed the aisle of ornaments, one set caught my eye. They were a replica of the hand painted Bavarian ornaments that I inherited from my grandparents. My hand shook, and tears filled my eyes as happy memories flowed and I could see my grandmother and grandfather lovingly adorn their tree. The love enveloped me, and I bought the memory.

My tree has WWII bulbs, hand painted Bavarian bulbs, paper decorations my children colored when they were younger, and decorations that I made as a child. There are now 6 stockings hanging on the rail of my staircase. Seasonal figurines are all over my tables, bookcases, entertainment center. Vases that Gunz gave me that were once full of flowers are now filled with glass balls and surrounded by lights. The love notes he wrote and placed on the flowers are hanging on my tree now as ornaments. Memories of a new love, mixed with the love already there will make this Christmas special.

My tree is not a decorators dream, but it has soul…